Effective Date: May 25, 2018
- the information that we receive from you when you interact with us,
- our practices for processing and protecting the information that we receive, and
- your choices regarding the collection and processing of your personal information.
Information We Collect
When you visit our Sites, we collect personal information that you provide to us as well as information we obtain from your use of our Sites.
“Personal Information” is information associated with you or that which can be used to identify or contact you. This includes contact data such as name, address, email address, and credit card information
“Usage Data” is information about your online activity that, by itself, does not identify you, such as:
- technical information, including browser type, service provider, IP addresses, operating system and webpages visited;
- information about what you have searched for, looked at, and clicked on while using our Sites;
- traffic data such as time and date of access, software crash reports, and session identification number;
- anonymous purchase behavior on partner sites (Amazon, among others) should you leave our Sites via an affiliate link; and
- information collected about the location of a mobile device or computer.
How We Collect Information
You may browse our Sites without submitting Personal Information to us. However, in order to access some features of the Sites, you may need to provide us with Personal Information.
Personal Information is collected when you
- register to use our Sites,
- subscribe to Foreign Affairs,
- subscribe to one of our newsletters,
- register to attend a Foreign Affairs event,
- make a donation,
- complete a survey or participate in a market research,
- enter a contest or sweepstakes, and
- apply for employment at Foreign Affairs.
Some of this Personal Information is collected by our service providers and then shared with us, such as when you submit an online employment application or make an online donation to Foreign Affairs. We may use third party services to provide accurate and updated credit card and contact information to fulfill your subscription.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technology
These technologies track your use of our Sites to enable us to
- identify returning users,
- eliminate the need for registered users and subscribers to re-enter their login details,
- remember your preferences,
- determine your registration or subscription rights to specific content,
- serve relevant advertisements for our products and asses the efficacy of those advertisements,
- track your use of our Sites to better develop our features, and
- monitor the traffic and performance of our Sites.
- the number of visits to and average time spent on either a single page or the entire Sites;
- the number of pages viewed per session, or the sequence of pages visited;
- behavior on a single page or the entire Sites, including scrolling and clicking on links or buttons; and
- similar data regarding use of our Sites.
Online advertising for our Sites is delivered by the vendor DoubleClick. DoubleClick places cookies alone or in conjunction with web beacons or other tracking technologies to collect information about you when you use the Sites. This information is used to
- facilitate serving particular advertisements,
- help determine whether you have seen a particular advertisement before,
- tailor advertisements to you if you have visited our Sites before, and
- avoid sending you duplicate advertisements.
For more information on the privacy practices of our advertising vendors, please visit
- DoubleClick: http://google.com/intl/en/privacy
- Google: http://google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en
- Facebook: http://facebook.com/ads/website_custom_audiences
How We Use Information
We use the information collected when you use the Sites in the following ways:
- To provide our content and services: The information permits us to provide you with the content and services that you request, such as our content, newsletters, and/or invitation to our events.
- To communicate with you: We use the information to communicate with you about your registration or subscription, employment application, event registrations, and donations.
- To promote our Sites: We may send you announcements about our subscriptions, offers, products, or features. We may invite you to participate in a contest, sweepstakes, or game and contact you about those contests or sweepstakes you entered through our Sites.
- To advertise goods or services: We may share your information with our business partners whose products or services we think may interest you. If you do not want your name and address to be shared for these purposes, you can opt out of such sharing by emailing us at email@example.com, or calling or writing us at the contact information provided.
- To improve our Sites: We use the information we collect from you to help improve your experience on our Sites, to continually improve our Sites, and to perform statistical and demographic analyses of users of our Sites.
- To comply with legal requirements: In some cases, we may use or disclose your Personal Information to a third party if we are required to do so by law, to prevent misuse of the Sites, or to protect our personal safety or that of others.
No Sharing of Your Personal Information
Third Party Sites and Services
We have third party agents that perform functions on our behalf, including but not limited to subscription management, hosting, content management, social media integration, and credit card processing. These entities may have access to Personal Information if needed to perform their functions. If such access is required, the third parties will be obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of that Personal Information. They are restricted from using, distributing, or altering this data in any way other than to provide the requested services to the Sites.
Our Sites interact with social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and others. You should review their privacy policies if you choose to post information from our Sites to these platforms. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these social media sites or other sites linked to our Sites.
Access to Your Personal Information and Your Rights
It is important to us that you be able to access and review the Personal Information we have about you. If you have an account with Foreign Affairs, you may review and change your information by logging on to your account and editing your account profile. If at any time you no longer want to receive our electronic newsletters and/or other emails, you may opt out of receiving them by following the “unsubscribe” instructions included in each email.
You may, at any time, request to access, verify, correct, delete, and/or transfer your Personal Information. You may also object to the use of your Personal Information or request that its use be limited. To do so, simply send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by mail at the address below.
How We Store and Protect Your Information
We retain information as long as it is necessary to perform our services in accordance with legal requirements and accounting rules. After it is no longer necessary to retain information, we dispose of it in a secure manner.
Your Personal Information is stored on our in-house servers and on cloud-based servers hosted by our vendors. We employ industry-standard security measures designed to protect the security of all information submitted. We take reasonable security measures to protect your information, including the use of physical, technical, and administrative controls. We update and test our security technology on an ongoing basis. When stored, passwords are encrypted and are not recoverable. We use SSL when we transmit Personal Information, and such information is encrypted in transit. While we use our best efforts to safeguard your Personal Information once we receive it, any transmission of data over the internet or any other public network carries certain risk.
Governing Law and Notice to Non-U.S. Users
Contests and Sweepstakes
Children Under the Age of Thirteen
The Sites are not intended for children under the age of thirteen and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under thirteen years of age. If you are under thirteen years of age, do not provide personal information to us without providing us with consent from your parents. If we discover that a child under the age of thirteen has provided us with Personal Information and we do not have parental consent, we will immediately delete that child’s information from the Sites. If you believe that we have been provided with the personal information of a child under the age of thirteen without parental consent, please notify us immediately at email@example.com.
California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits subscribers of Foreign Affairs who are California residents to request information regarding the disclosure of their Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying that you seek your “California Customer Choice Notice.” Please allow thirty days for a response.
Council on Foreign Relations
Attn: General Counsel
58 East 68th Street
New York, NY 10065
If you have questions about your subscription, you may contact us at email@example.com
800.829.5539 (United States and Canada)
PO Box 60001
Tampa, FL 33662-0001